The Castle Hotel began life in 1528 as The Mermaid Inn – humbly brewing beer and cider for the people of Windsor which, at the time, was a small town of just 1,000 people. During the 1700s, innkeeper Richard Martin was awarded the first of the hotel’s eight Royal Warrants – to provide horses and carriages for the royal household. The hotel grew with the population of Windsor to become one of the grandest places to stay in the Royal Borough.
By the 19th century, The Castle Hotel Windsor had solidified its reputation as the connoisseur’s choice of accommodation in the area. The hotel was so popular among the elite that the Duke of Wellington stepped in to dine after his victory over Napoleon at the battle of Waterloo.